Thursday, August 12, 2010

So here is the rest of the story...

So I told you that we were going to have a C-section and here is how it went. We got to the hospital around 3:30 so they could get me all preped and what not- Mind you, I had to be fasting from 7am on- NOT EVEN WATER!! As any pregnant person knows, you are not just hungry when you skip a meal but you get really sick too! So I was not feeling great and combine that with nerves and heightened emotion, you can imagine how I was doing. Good, not great. Cody is so good at trying to make me feel better, even when I am grumpy back at him.

So around 5:20 or so, they had me walk into the operating room and Cody went into the recovery room until I was done getting the epidural, then they let him come in. The epidural was SO not what I expected. Everyone always complains about it saying it hurts so bad- I honestly hardly even felt it. The anticipation was worse than anything. I must have had a good anesthesiologist. I was also AMAZED at how fast it worked! I was already practically numb by the time they had me lay on the table. All and all it took less than 15 minutes to get him out of there and less than 30 to have me sewn up and back in recovery with him.

It was freezing in the operating room and I guess I react to the anesthetic by shivering. I was shaking so bad! It was crazy. My sister, who has had 3 c-sections, told me it feels like you can't control your own breathing once you are numb up to your bra line. It is true, a very strange feeling and I am glad I was forwarned or I would have freaked out, I think.

So my wonderful OB came in at that point and chatted while she was getting ready. They raised the shield so I couldn't see and then brought Cody in. Normally they don't let you film a c-section because it is a major surg and liability and all that but our dr is awesome and let us film it. I haven't been brave enough to watch it yet. I could see a littl of what was going on in the reflection of the light above the table, although I didn't look too closely.

I could feel them working but no pain at all. Very weird feeling. Before Cody could even take the video camera out of the case, the anesthesiologist said, well if you want to capture anything you better hurry! Seriously, such a strange feeling knowing we were going to meet our little boy for the first time!

The little guy was really in there well, so well, in fact, that she had to use the vaccum to get him out! So sad, it left a little sore spot on his head. Cody said it is pretty rough watching them pull the baby out by the head. I remember the nurse pushing on the top of my stomach to help squeeze him out and thinking, I wonder if anyone has broken ribs doing this. LOTS OF PRESSURE! I remember talking to lil Gunner before he came out assuring him that it was ok to come out. I felt a certain closeness to that little boy even more so than during my whole pregnancy and I hadn't even seen or heard him yet.

When he first came out I heard Cody saying, "It's a baby, babe!" over and over. My OB said, laughing, "well what were you expecting, puppies?" It certainly was an unreal experience.

They brought him around the shield so I could see him. I remember his little eyes looking at me and blinking like "what just happened". They cleaned him up a little and brought him over to me. They laid him on my chest and let me hold him for a few minutes. They usually take them away pretty fast when it is a c-section so I feel pretty lucky to have gotten to hold him right away.

They sewed me up and told me that my pelvic area was pretty narrow and I probably would not have been able to deliver naturally anyway. My fluid was so low that when they made the incision, instead of a gush of water, she said it was more like a trickle that came out. Also, the cord was around his neck and with such low fluid around him, that could have been life threatening if I were to have tried to push him out. The placenta was spent as well, like we thought. I can't even think about the "what ifs", I am just so grateful to my wonderful OB for being inspired enough and acting on her instincts to go straight to a c-section and not trying to induce.

Because of the medication they had me on Gunner's blood sugar was a little low so they had me give him an ounce of formula right away to boost it up. It shot right back up and hasn't had trouble since.

He had a little jaundice that also cleared up on his own and resolved. We are so blessed and he is such a good baby. He eats ROUND THE CLOCK but when he sleeps he is pretty sound. He is not fussy or hard to deal with at all- such a blessing. I hope it lasts!

The C-section recovery has been much better than I first expected. Get me right, it is not a piece of cake, but I have been blessed to be able to get up and down and walk around on my own fairly quickly. They have you try 12 HOURS AFTER SURGERY! Not so great the first attempt but by day two I could roam the halls in my hot gown. :)

I am tired and insanely emotional at night (hate the long long nights) when it is a big unknown if he is going to sleep well or nurse for 3 hours straight (yes, that has happened 2 or 3 times now), but we are so grateful to finally have our Gunner Samuel here!

Thanks to all for all the support and prayers on our behalf!


Metta said...

I am SO proud of you Kate! He came just like he should have... healthy, and strong, and a great eater! What a super story you have: he was well worth the wait... if you think he's cute now, just wait another week or two. They just keep getting more and more beautiful...

TJ said...

I am so excited he is here. Such a long, long wait to get him. I'm glad you have such a great doctor. I can't wait to meet him!

Kari Ann said...

Yea! So so glad everything went well! I have been checking your blog waiting to hear about his arrival. I am so happy for you. Cannot wait to see pics.